Saturday, December 5, 2015

Extra Credit Closing Remarks Film Festival/Film Lit Class


Although I only attended two blocks over the three-day weekend, due to volunteering for the Film Festival; I had an amazing experience. I learned that film comes in all different clips, countries, and genres. There is no limit it comes to film, a film doesn’t have to be hours long and it doesn’t have to be seconds short. The director in charge of the message that he wants to audience to convey; there are different ways to go about this goal overall. I now view films differently from watching Hugo to Tree of Life to attending the film festival. Film is like art; film is like a puzzle. Film helps you understand the world around you the things that you may have trouble with understanding. Film is like a puzzle because through the different scenes (pieces to the puzzle) the director put together a message to the audience (the completed puzzle). I learned that expanding your horizons on different genres helps understanding film as a whole. Expecting the unexpected is the essence to understanding film, stepping outside of the box; outside of your comfort zone; outside of what one is used to. The Film Festival and Film Lit class combined allowed me to think critically, don’t always depend on your Professor for the answer or the director for that matter. As a film critic it is the audience job to interpret the film in a personal aspect, through your own eyes. There is no right on wrong answer in the world of film; everyone’s interpretation is different.  I can’t thank Professor Devine enough for encouraging me to use my brain, expand, go back to the drawing board to figure out the essence of the films we watched. The Film Festival put the essence of film as a whole in perspective for me, film is a puzzle waiting to get the pieces put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment